Northern Rockies Program
The National Forest Foundation's Northern Rockies region includes the states of Idaho and Montana which are home to 21 National Forests that equate to nearly 40 million acres. These National Forest lands are some of the wildest in the lower 48 states and offer incredible wildlife habitat, clean flowing rivers, and diverse recreational opportunities. Get to know the Forests in the Northern Rockies region through our Find A Forest page.
In the Northern Rockies, our work is focused on providing programmatic assistance to the region’s numerous forest collaboratives and addressing critical forest and watershed conservation needs through restoration projects and programs that benefit local communities and conserve natural systems.
On the Ground Restoration
NFF strategically engages in restoration projects on National Forests across Idaho and Montana; from restoring land after wildfire to enhancing waterways and improving recreation trails systems. We strive to engage communities in our restoration work through volunteer opportunities and by generating local grants to partners that work alongside the National Forest Foundation to support the implementation of projects.
Connecting Communities to the Forest
Through NFF's Conservation Connect Program, we provide a learning platform for community-based groups and Forest Service employees involved in collaborative stewardship on National Forest System lands to exchange knowledge, tools and best practices. We also offer facilitation and administrative support services to a number of collaboratives in the Northern Rockies region including:
- 5B Restoration Coalition, Sawtooth National Forest, Idaho
- Beaverhead-Deerlodge Working Group, Beaverhead-Deerlodge National Forest, Montana
- Clearwater Basin Collaborative, Nez Perce-Clearwater National Forests, Idaho
- Panhandle Forest Collaborative, Panhandle National Forest, Idaho
- Sawtooth Valley Wildfire Collaborative, Sawtooth and Salmon-Challis National Forests, Idaho
Join Us in Supporting National Forests in Idaho and Montana
We invite you to join us in supporting our National Forests. Here's how:
- You can contribute to our work restoring National Forests in Idaho or Montana by visiting this link. Please indicate in the comment section that you would like your gift to be put to work in the Northern Rockies region.
- For more information about our corporate partnership program please visit this link.